Spiritual care is a rich tradition woven into the fabric of our daily lives. Its positive impact is far-reaching, whether it is the convenience of on-site campus services or the opportunity to serve others in the community. People are encouraged to continue to worship with their own organization of choice or make Friendship Haven their new non-denominational congregation.
Friendship Haven offers a strong support network to nurture your spiritual wellness, including:
- Traditional Sunday morning worship service.
- Weekly Bible studies and devotional services at the various neighborhoods on campus.
- Thursday afternoon vespers services at the Tompkins Celebration Center.
- A chorus and hand bell choir that are open to people who enjoy music and are willing to perform at vespers and special events at Friendship Haven.
- A Spiritual Life Committee made up of people who live on campus and volunteer with long-range planning and other activities.
- Personal support from the chaplain including grief support, hospital vists, emotional & spiritual support, spiritual guidance through transitions, receiving of sacraments or rites.
Connecting with the community
Staying connected with others is a vital part of spiritual wellness at Friendship Haven, where you have the opportunity to:
- Comfort those in need. While Friendship Haven’s chaplain offers spiritual counseling, volunteers who live on campus are also available to call on people who are facing health challenges or visit with family members who have lost a loved one.
- Give back to the community. Once a month during the Sunday worship service, Friendship Haven gathers donations for the Lord’s Cupboard, a local food pantry in Fort Dodge. Friendship Haven also collects toiletries, Bibles, and other supplies for the Beacon of Hope shelter in Fort Dodge.
These efforts reflect the vision of Friendship Haven’s founder, Dr. Clarence Tompkins, who urged people to “dream no little dreams.” He knew that spiritual wellness provides meaning and purpose in life. As Friendship Haven grows, we’re pleased to offer new options for spiritual care to enrich the lives of those we serve.
Contact our chaplain:
Rev. Jennifer Owen