Certified Medication Aide – Simpson Health Center
Purpose of the Position
To prepare an individual to safely administer no n-parenteral medications to any person served in nursing facilities and related areas.
- Administer medication under the supervision of a licensed nurse (unless otherwise allowed by law).
- Use the medication administration record (MAR) to administer and record medications given to the resident.
- Administer medications following the six rights of drug administration.
- Know, or look up, medication information for its intended use, side effects, interactions and how to administer it properly.
- Administer PRN medications, as directed by the licensed nurse.
- Follow policies to ensure the prevention of medication errors. If a medication error does occur, follow the correct reporting policy for investigation.
- Report all signs, symptoms, side effects or adverse reactions to the medication immediately to the nurse on duty.
- Respond appropriately to all emergency situations with a resident.
- Measure, report and record measurements as related to the ordered medications.
- Education: Level of education to communicate effectively. Must be willing to complete cross training to complete versatile assigned work tasks.
- Licensure: Must be a certified medication aide or willing to become certified.
- Experience: Working in aging related environments, direct care, with some housekeeping or dining experience preferred.